The highlight of this delicious Venezuelan breakfast sandwich is the freshly prepared arepa. Scrambled egg, turkey bacon, turkey sausage, queso fresco, salsa and house-made avocado-cilantro sauce create a balanced blend of flavor for a complete morning meal.
Venezuelan Breakfast Arepa
Turkey Bacon, cooked, chopped
Turkey Breakfast Sausage Crumbles
White Corn Arepa, warm, split to form a pocket
1 ½ tbsp.
Roasted Corn and Black Bean Salsa
WHITE CORN AREPAS
1 ¼ cups
White corn arepa flour
1 ¼ cups
Butter (room temperature)
Jack cheese, shredded
ROASTED CORN AND BLACK BEAN SALSA
Salt and pepper, to taste
Grape tomatoes, washed and diced
Black beans, drained
Green onions, ¼-inch cubes
Jalapeños, seeds removed, sliced thin
Fresh lime juice
Fresh cilantro, chopped
Dark chili powder
Hass avocado, peeled and pitted
Cilantro with stems, tightly packed
Hot sauce, a dash
Sea salt or kosher salt, to taste
Green onions, sliced thin
To prepare the Venezuelan Breakfast Arepa:
1. Stuff the warm White Corn Arepa with scrambled egg, and then top with queso fresco, chopped turkey bacon and the turkey breakfast sausage crumbles.
2. Top with Roasted Corn and Black Bean Salsa.
3. Drizzle with Avocado/Cilantro Sauce.
To prepare the WHITE CORN AREPAS:
1. Combine the arepa flour and salt. Blend well.
2. Slowly pour in the warm water while adding the butter and cheese. Blend well.
3. Form approximately 3-ounce dough balls, and then form into 4-inch x ½-inch cakes. Place them onto a lightly greased sheet pan. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
4. Cook the arepas on a lightly oiled griddle or grill over medium heat. Cook the arepas for about 3–4 minutes per side. Turn only once. Serve warm.
To prepare the ROASTED CORN AND BLACK BEAN SALSA:
1. Rub the fresh corn with 2 teaspoons of oil and season with salt and pepper.
2. Place into a 475°F preheated oven for 15–20 minutes or until golden brown on all sides.
3. Remove the corn from the oven and allow it to cool in a clean container covered with foil.
4. When the corn is cool, carefully remove the roasted kernels from the cob.
5. Combine the corn with all the remaining ingredients and blend well.
6. Chill the salsa in a sealed container for 1 hour before serving.