Here's a new way to serve turkey on your morning menu—batter and fry filets in breading with a hint of fresh thyme. This Southern-inspired brunch option is full of fun flavor combinations, including honey-flavored candied turkey bacon, savory waffles, and a sweet-and-spicy drizzle of Nashville hot honey syrup.
1. Combine the paprika, black pepper, granulated garlic, cayenne pepper and 2 teaspoons of thyme; blend well and hold on the side.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the egg and the buttermilk and add in half of the seasoning mix from step 1. Blend well and pour the mixture into a 1-gallon freezer bag.
3. Place each of the turkey filets between two pieces of plastic wrap and gently pound with a meat mallet until ¼-inch thick.
4. Place each of the pounded filets into the freezer bag with the buttermilk mixture. Seal the bag and place it in the refrigerator (in a bowl—to prevent spillage) to marinate the turkey for 2–3 hours.
5. In a 12-inch skillet (cast iron recommended), heat the vegetable oil to 350°F.
6. Add self-rising flour and cornstarch to the remaining seasoning mix from step 1 and blend well.
7. With tongs, remove the turkey filets from the buttermilk mixture and allow the excess liquid to drain off, then place them into the flour mixture and thoroughly coat them (flipping 3–4 times).
8. Shake off the excess flour and carefully place the filets into the hot oil. With tongs, shift the cutlets around in the skillet to cook evenly. Flip the turkey filets after 3–4 minutes and cook for an additional 2–3 minutes, until they’re golden brown and reach an internal temperature of 165°F.
9. Transfer the cooked filets to a wire rack (on a ½-size sheet pan). Hold warm.
10. Use a waffle press to prepare 2 small/medium Belgian waffles.
11. When the waffles are complete, spread them with the whipped butter and top with the Honey Bourbon Peppered Candied Turkey Bacon and the finished fried turkey.
12. Sprinkle the remaining thyme on the turkey and drizzle with the Nashville Hot Honey Syrup.
TO PREPARE THE HONEY BOURBON PEPPERED CANDIED TURKEY BACON:
1. In an oven preheated to 350°F, cook the turkey bacon until crisp.
2. Line a ½-size sheet pan with foil or parchment paper and neatly arrange the crisp bacon slices on top.
3. Combine the honey with the bourbon and blend well, then brush the mixture over the bacon strips. Sprinkle with the coarse black pepper.