Bon Appétit reported that cauliflower would be 2017’s this-is-seriously-everywhere vegetable. It’s an excellent source of vitamin C, and it’s one of the most versatile veggies around. From cauliflower’s mild flavor profile to its ability to fill in for pizza crust, mashed potatoes, rice and more, this cruciferous vegetable can work magic on your menu.
Experience the power of cauliflower in these unexpected menu applications:
- Whole-roast cauliflower with olive oil in a cast iron skillet for a hearty side dish
- Use finely chopped cauliflower as a substitute for rice in stir-fries and more
- Create a tasty salad with shaved cauliflower
- Toss roasted cauliflower in pasta dishes
- Slice cauliflower into “steaks,” grill and serve as a center-of-plate option
- Puree cauliflower to create a flavorful soup base
- Pickle cauliflower and serve on sandwiches
- Slice, cook and mix cauliflower with breadcrumbs to create a top crust for baked pot pies
- Mix pureed cauliflower into mashed potatoes to cut calories and add rich, nutty flavor
Find additional ingredient spotlights and tips for your back of house, training, menu design and more.
Delany, Alex. Charcoal, Old-School Pizza, and Every Other Food Trend You’ll See in 2017, Bon Appétit, December 2016.
More than 26 Reasons to Add Cauliflower to Your Menu, Whole Story, January 2017.
13 Food Trend Forecasts for the New Year, James Beard Foundation, December 2016.