Sliced oven roasted turkey is layered with provolone cheese and sautéed broccoli rabe atop French bread to created this filling Philly-style sandwich. Serve for lunch or dinner with French fries and a pale ale for a great-tasting LTO with a touch of Italian influence.
Philly Roasted Turkey Sandwich
Oven Roasted Turkey Breast, sliced
Fresh, warm, crusty French bread (7 inches long)
Au Jus, lightly thickened
Aged provolone cheese, rough shaved cut slices
2 ½ oz.
Sautéed Broccoli Rabe
Salt and pepper, to taste
Onion, ¼-inch dice
Celery, ¼-inch dice
Carrots, ¼-inch dice
Fresh sage leaves
Fresh thyme leaves
SautÉed Broccoli Rabe
Cime di rapa, cleaned broccoli rabe
Water for blanching
Salt, as needed
Garlic cloves, minced
Crushed red pepper, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
To prepare the Philly Roasted Turkey Sandwich:
1. Cut the French bread in half lengthwise.
2. Heat to warm the turkey in the Au Jus (do not boil or overheat).
3. Lightly drain the turkey and place inside the French bread (spread out evenly).
4. Top with the provolone.
5. Arrange the Sautéed Broccoli Rabe over the provolone.
6. Serve with turkey Au Jus on the side.
To prepare the Au Jus:
1. Season the turkey parts with the oil, salt and pepper.
2. Place the seasoned turkey in a preheated sauté pan. Place the pan in a preheated 375°F oven and roast to a golden brown, approximately 45–60 minutes.
3. Add onion, celery and carrots, and mix them into the roasted turkey parts. Return the pan to the oven and continue to roast to caramelize the vegetables. Add and stir in the flour and continue to roast to brown the flour.
4. Remove the roast from the oven and allow cooling for 15 minutes, then slowly incorporate all but 1 cup of the hot broth.
5. Pour into a 3-quart saucepan, add herbs and bring the gravy to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cook for one hour.
6. In the empty roasting pan, deglaze with 1 cup of broth and pour into the gravy mixture. Return to a simmer. Cook for 15–20 minutes.
7. Strain the gravy and hold hot for service.
To prepare the SAUTÉED BROCCOLI RABE:
1. Peel off the skin from the tough lower stalks of the rabe (most of the bottom section).
2. Cut the rabe into approximately 3-inch lengths and wash well.
3. Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil in a saucepan and lightly salt the water.
4. Add broccoli rabe to the boiling water. Return to a boil. Blanch broccoli rabe for 4 minutes. If broccoli rabe is fresh and tender, blanch for 2 minutes.
5. Drain and shock in ice water. Cool completely, then drain completely.
6. Heat olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat, then add garlic, red pepper and black pepper. Cook until the aroma of the garlic fills the air.
7. Add broccoli rabe to the sauté pan. Toss and heat. Season with salt. Serve.