Now more than ever, patrons are looking for comfort. The onset of COVID-19 has caused numerous disruptions in their everyday lives, and many are counting on restaurants for a meal that’s not only delicious but also fills an emotional need.
This daily uncertainty is affecting what patrons eat, but it isn’t the same for everyone. One quarter of consumers are opting for better-for-you fare, while 33% are eating comfort foods with higher frequency. The top foods they’re reaching for are pizza, burgers, sandwiches and meat entrées.
Turkey is a protein that can provide patrons with the best of both worlds—it’s at the heart of many comforting dishes and it’s a better-for-you option that gives rise to many possibilities. Consider these recipes, which are also well-suited for takeout and delivery menus, to give customers the feel-good food they crave:
- Turkey Flatbread Pizetta: Who says pizza can’t be healthy? Turkey medallions or meatballs and sliced potatoes top a flatbread brushed with olive oil and pesto. Sprinkle basil leaves, roasted tomatoes and shredded mozzarella to amplify this cheesy classic.
- Wild Mushroom Turkey Burger: This grilled turkey burger is piled high with toppings. Featuring a special sauce slathered on brioche buns, this decadent favorite has melted Manchego cheese, sautéed mushrooms and a touch of sweetness from caramelized onions.
- Turkey Patty Melt: Patrons will be excited to indulge in this gooey sandwich. Ground turkey, melted Muenster cheese and sweet hot mustard spread between buttered slices of Texas toast. The wealth of flavor is further intensified with honey-bourbon peppered bacon and beer-basted onions.
- Turkey Sandwich Italiano: Food plays a huge role in Italian culture, a sentiment enveloped in this meaty sandwich. It’s made with thinly sliced turkey breast, warm marinara sauce, shredded mozzarella and a drizzle of balsamic glaze to lend a hint of sweetness. This recipe also features nut-free kale pesto for an allergy-friendly item.
- Singapore Meatballs and Zoodles: It’s not your average pasta. This offering provides customers with the bold flavors of ethnic fusion. Turkey meatballs coated in house made sweet soy sauce mixed with Thai sweet chili pair with zucchini noodles for a light and zesty meal.
- Turkey Garam Masala: Diners can experience global cuisines without leaving the comfort of their homes. This twist on a traditional Indian dish features turkey breast rubbed in a blend of spices and glazed with habanero honey for an extra kick. Serve on a bed of roasted curried cauliflower, Brussels sprouts and rice.
Turkey is a canvas for all kinds of flavors as well as a familiar food that offers reassurance in a time when it’s needed. What’s more, Butterball is a brand that diners know and love, and its recognizable name can help provide a sense of normalcy. As patrons and operators continue to adapt, they can count on a brand that’s here to support them.
Coronavirus Report, Datassential, March 2020.