Roasting is considered a healthy method of cooking because the food you're making does not have to be saturated in unhealthy fats or oils. Here's a quick reminder on the best way to roast a turkey*:
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Place the turkey back-down in the roasting pan (meaty side up).
- Cook for 3¾–4¼ hours or until internal temperature reaches 180°F in the thigh and 170°F in the breast.
Tips to perfect your roasting skills:
- Sort turkeys before roasting and cook similar sizes at the same time.
- Overcooking will cause breast meat to become dry.
- For quicker cooking, section the turkeys. Cook thighs and drumsticks together and breast meat separately.
* Steps are for roasting 14–18 lb. unstuffed, whole-body turkeys in a conventional oven.